Snacks Against Obesity. Part 4: How Snacks Defeat Obesity
Snacks prevent overeating. Snacks prevent the body from storing fat. Snacks is what everyone loves. Get any 3 high fiber snacks from a list below and feel significantly better already for the next day.
What defines a snack?
A snack is a portion of any food, smaller than a regular meal, generally eaten between meals.
How Do Snacks Help to Defeat Obesity?
- Snacks prevent overeating. Snacking helps keep you from getting overly hungry in between meals and then overeating at your next meal.
- Snacks prevent the body from storing fat. When the body goes without food for longer than four to six hours, its metabolic rate may slow down in a biological response to food deprivation. That means that the rate at which you burn calories slows down and anything more than the normal amount of calories you eat gets stored as fat.
How many snacks do you need?
Your body converts food to glucose, the simplest form of sugar, which it uses for energy.
Low levels in blood glucose cause cravings. Too much food causes high levels in blood glucose.
In response, your pancreas releases a glut of insulin into the bloodstream to process sugars. A lot of sugar means lots of insulin, which drops your blood sugar below normal, triggering again the same cravings.
Where does the body store the excessive sugar?- Right, as fat.
To avoid roller-coaster Mayo Clinic suggests that most snacks should be around 100 calories, but if you need to use a snack in place of a meal, eat a slightly larger snack containing about 250 calories.
Fiber and Protein in Top 20 Most Purchased Snacks
Ok, now that we understand what nutrients we need, let’s see, what snacks are the best for that?
PLANETARIANS Chief Mixologist, Anastasia Tkacheva helped me to make the table with protein and fiber content in the most popular snacks today. Which one has more protein? Which one has more fiber? Which one has both?
Want to test?- Challenge yourself!
1. Choose any 3 snacks.
2. Make sure that it totals:
- 25g (for female), 38g (for male) of fiber
- 46g (for female), 56g (for male) of plant protein
- 100-250 calories per snack
3. Have these 3 snacks between meals within a day (meals do not matter).
4. Let us know in comments to this post if you feel better the next day.
Then you may want to support PLANETARIANS efforts to make the ultimate snack against obesity: More fiber than any veggies, more protein than any meat!