Snacks Against Obesity, Part 2: How Fiber Fights Obesity
Fiber makes you feel full. Fiber works like built-in portion control. Fiber is low calorie. Fiber prevents overeating during regular meals. Get any 3 high fiber snacks from the list below and feel significantly better for your next day.
Dietary fiber, also known as roughage or bulk, includes the parts of plant foods your body can't digest or absorb. Unlike other food components, such as fats, proteins or carbohydrates — which your body breaks down and absorbs — fiber isn't digested by your body. Instead, it passes relatively intact through and out of your body.
The main reason fiber is beneficial, is that it feeds the "good" bacteria in your microbiome.
Functioning as prebiotics, fiber increases our levels of the "good" bacteria in our guts, which can have a variety of positive effects on health.
How Does Fiber Defeat Obesity?
- Fiber slows the rate that sugar is absorbed into the bloodstream, which keeps your blood glucose levels from rising too fast. This is good for you because spikes in glucose fall rapidly, which can make you feel hungry soon after eating and lead to overeating.
- Fiber aids in achieving a healthy weight. High-fiber foods tend to be more filling than low-fiber foods, so you're likely to eat less and stay satisfied longer. And high-fiber foods tend to take longer to eat and to be less "energy dense," which means they have fewer calories for the same volume of food.
How much fiber do you need?
Most Americans consume about 10 to 15 grams of fiber a day.
The FDA recommends 25g of fiber for women and 38g of fiber for men. How will you fill the gap?
Fiber and Protein in the Top 20 Most Purchased Snacks
Ok, now that we understand what nutrients we need, let’s see, what snacks are the best for that?
PLANETARIANS Chief Mixologist, Anastasia Tkacheva helped me make the table below with the protein and fiber content in the most popular snacks today. Which one has the most protein? Which one has the most fiber? Which one has both?
Want to test it? Challenge yourself!
1. Choose any 3 snacks.
2. Make sure that they total:
- 25g (for women), 38g (for men) of fiber
- 46g (for women), 56g (for men) of plant protein
- 100-250 calories per snack
3. Have these 3 snacks between meals within a day (meals do not matter).
4. Let us know in the comments to this post if you feel better the next day.
If so, consider supporting PLANETARIANS efforts to make the ultimate snack against obesity: our sunflower chips have more fiber per serving than most veggies, and more protein by weight than meat!