Snacks Against Obesity. Part 2: How Fiber Defeats Obesity
High Fiber makes you feel full. Fiber works like a built-in portion control. Fiber is low calorie. Fiber prevents overeating during regular meals. Get any 3 high fiber snacks from a list below and feel significantly better already for the next day.
Dietary fiber, also known as roughage or bulk, includes the parts of plant foods your body can't digest or absorb. Unlike other food components, such as fats, proteins or carbohydrates — which your body breaks down and absorbs — fiber isn't digested by your body. Instead, it passes relatively intact through your stomach, small intestine and colon and out of your body.
The main reason fiber is beneficial, is that it feeds the "good" bacteria in your microbiome.
Functioning as prebiotics, fiber increases our levels of the "good" bacteria, which can have various positive effects on health.
How Does the Fiber Defeat Obesity?
- Fiber slows the rate that sugar is absorbed into the bloodstream, which keeps your blood glucose levels from rising too fast. This is good for you because spikes in glucose fall rapidly, which can make you feel hungry soon after eating and lead to overeating.
- Fiber aids in achieving healthy weight. High-fiber foods tend to be more filling than low-fiber foods, so you're likely to eat less and stay satisfied longer. And high-fiber foods tend to take longer to eat and to be less "energy dense," which means they have fewer calories for the same volume of food.
How much fiber do you need?
Most Americans consume about 10 to 15 grams of fiber a day.
The FDA recommends 25g of fiber for females and 38g of fiber for males. Fill the gap.
Fiber and Protein in Top 20 Most Purchased Snacks
Ok, now that we understand what nutrients we need, let’s see, what snacks are the best for that?
PLANETARIANS Chief Mixologist, Anastasia Tkacheva helped me to make the table with protein and fiber content in the most popular snacks today. Which one has more protein? Which one has more fiber? Which one has both?
Want to test?- Challenge yourself!
1. Choose any 3 snacks.
2. Make sure that it totals:
- 25g (for female), 38g (for male) of fiber
- 46g (for female), 56g (for male) of plant protein
- 100-250 calories per snack
3. Have these 3 snacks between meals within a day (meals do not matter).
4. Let us know in comments to this post if you feel better the next day.
Then you may want to support PLANETARIANS efforts to make the ultimate snack against obesity: More fiber than any veggies, more protein than any meat!