Snacks Against Blood Pressure
Сombination of protein with fiber intake has significant additive effects to lower 24-hour and awake systolic blood pressure.
My father in law is a diabetic and suffers from high blood pressure.
I noticed that he regularly eats snacks.
To my mind - sugary snacks are the worst thing that diabetic can eat. I remember how my granny, diabetic too, thoroughly calculated her every cookies.
I could not resist to ask:
- Vincent, why do you get so many snacks?
His answer was very concise:
- I manage my blood pressure.
- You manage your pressure?
- Right, and as you might notice I eat high fiber protein snacks.
How to Manage Blood Pressure with Snacks
Food Scientist in me could not resist verifying his approach and here is what I found.
1) Most studies show that more protein leads to more blood pressure.
2) Dietary fiber may lower blood pressure, but lowering effect is small.
3) However, a combination of protein with fiber intake has significant additive effects to lower 24-hour and awake systolic blood pressure.
Fiber and Protein in Top 20 Snacks
If you want to check whether this hack works for you, let me help you.
Our chief mixologist, Anastasia Tkacheva helped me to make the table with protein and fiber content in the most popular snacks today.
Want to test it?- Challenge yourself!
1. Choose any 3 snacks.
2. Make sure that it totals:
- 25g (for female), 38g (for male) of fiber
- 46g (for female), 56g (for male) of plant protein
- 100-250 calories per snack
3. Have these 3 snacks between meals within a day.
4. Let us know in comments to this post if you feel better the next day.
Then you may want to support PLANETARIANS efforts to make the ultimate snack against blood pressure: More fiber than veggies, more protein than meat!